5 Reasons Why Granite Should Be in Your Kitchen
It’s no secret that granite countertops are desirable in a kitchen, but do you know why that is exactly? There are plenty of reasons, but here are the top 5 reasons that you should consider granite for your kitchen remodel.
- Granite is durable. Granite is the hardest natural stone countertop option there is. Hardness of materials is measured on the Mohs scale. This 1-10 scale puts softer materials on the lower end (1) and harder materials on the upper end (10). Diamond, for example, scores a 10 on the Mohs scale. Although diamond countertops would surely be beautiful, they would not be very cost-effective. Because granite is such a hard stone, typically 6-8 on the Mohs scale, it makes it extremely resistant to chipping and scratching. When granite countertops are being manufactured, high-powered steel-cutting lasers are required to cut through it. No need to worry about scratching, chipping or breaking from heavy use or rambunctious kids. Additionally, granite is formed by pressure and heat so you can feel free to put hot pots and pans directly onto the surface without scorching the countertop.
- Granite countertops are valuable. Since granite countertops are highly desirable in a kitchen, they immediately add resale value to your home. Homeowners will more than likely recoup the cost they put into their kitchen remodel when they resell their home, especially if they choose to use granite countertops. Buyers are willing to pay extra for a home with high-quality materials. Granite kitchen countertops could be the deciding factor between two opposing homes for a buyer. This means that simply choosing granite over another material could make the difference between selling your home or not.
- Granite is affordable. You would think that a material that adds so much value to your home would be extremely expensive, but granite is actually highly affordable. Yes, you can spend close to $200 per square foot on some slabs, but you can also find slabs for as low as $40 per square foot. Pricing depends on a lot of factors, the main one being the thickness of the slab. The driving force behind it’s affordability is its life expectancy. You can expect to get 30 years of good use out of your granite countertops which is a much longer than you could expect from other countertop options.
- Granite countertops are perfectly flat. Cooking and baking both require a flat surface at some point in the process. Whether you are rolling out cookie dough or pie crust, having a flat surface ensures that your culinary projects are not being affected negatively by your kitchen’s raw materials.
- Granite is unique. Finally, granite is a great choice for your kitchen remodel because every piece is unique. This makes each slab beautiful in its own way and each piece impossible to recreate. The slabs in your kitchen are unlike anyone else’s. The details, flecks, veining and colors are unique. This means you can pick a slab that fits your kitchen perfectly.
There are plenty of other reasons why granite is a great choice for your kitchen remodel, but these are the ones that we think make the biggest impact on your decision. You can’t go wrong with such a tested material that is coveted by homeowners everywhere. If you’re looking for our expert advise on cabinetry, countertops, backsplash, or full kitchen remodel, learn more at www.kitchensolvers.com.Back